States Attorney.

Man Faces Death Sentence for Shooting and Killing of Two Chicago Police Officers

Kenneth Allen Faces Death Sentence for Shooting and Killing of Two Chicago Police Officers

Cook County State’s Attorney Richard A. Devine announced the charges made against a man who has cold-bloodedly shot and killed two Chicago Police Officers out of his rage for two different officers involved in a prior encounter with the Chicago Police Department. The man is sentenced to death and currently remains in the custody of the Chester Mental Health Center.

Kenneth Allen, of 10127 Aberdeen, Chicago, was charged with seven counts of offenses in relation to the shooting and murdering of two police officers, to which the defendant pleaded guilty. Furthermore, a death-sentenced was imposed upon him, by which the jury found no mitigating factors sufficient to preclude the imposition of death sentences.

On the evening of December 10, 1978, Officers responded to a domestic complaint sent by Bianca Smith – the common-law wife of the defendant, who complained of an issue in her relationship with the man who was reported to be armed. Following that short encounter with the police, Bianca Smith decided to leave the defendant; however, Ms. Smith came requesting for police assistance, once again, in the morning hours of December 13, 1978. She reported that there was an armed man at 10127 Aberdeen and that she needed assistance to pick up some of her belongings. At approximately 10:30 am, police officers were dispatched at the residency of the defendant who refused to let anyone in. Commander James B. Delaney of the 22nd Police District, Lieutenant Robert Hanley of the 22nd District Tactical Unit, and Sergeant Martin began negotiation with the defendant, which ended when the defendant decided to surrender without any shots fired, after approximately 19 hours of negotiation with the police. During the course of the 19-hour negotiation, Lieutenant Hanley noted that he never questioned the defendant’s sanity and also noted that the defendant was fully aware of his actions.

Subsequent to the events on December 13, Judge Everette Braden raised the initially set $5,000 cash bond to $20,000 cash bond. Additionally, a search warrant was executed by Investigator Barry W. Costello of the Chicago Police Department on December 14, 1978, who recovered several firearms within a metal cabinet, including a Colt. 45 semi-automatic pistol, two Smith and Wesson revolver, a Colt .357 Python revolver, a .44 magnum Super Blackhawk revolver, a Winslow seven millimeter rifle with scope, and a Weatherby 12-gauge shotgun. The series of events by which the defendant returned to his home from police custody and learning that the police has confiscated his firearms and ammunition truly angered the defendant.

Two Chicago Police Officers, Officer William Bosak – a 13-year veteran and a father of two little girls, along with Officer Roger Van Schaik – a newly married man and a father of a 14-month old child, has come across the defendant during their 9:00 am to 5:00 pm shift on March 3, 1979. As they were conducting a protective search on a car that they had curbed, the defendant repeatedly shot the unsuspecting officer in the back, which led to the immediate death of Officer Bosak who had just been getting into his car after conducting a traffic stop. After killing the other officer, the defendant and Officer Van Schaik engaged in a gun battle. A few minutes later, the shooting momentarily stopped as it appeared that Officer Van Schaik had run out of ammunition. The defendant took this chance to reign over the police officer. With the .38 caliber service revolver of Officer Bosak, the defendant shot the pleading Officer Van Schaik two times in the face and head at point-blank range.

At approximately 4:10 pm, several police officers had come to respond to the emergency call for help made by Officer Van Schaik prior to his execution by the defendant, who had now open fired towards every police officer he came across. Furthermore, the defendant had engaged numerous officers in a car chase, which ended when he came into collision with a squadrol. The defendant was then arrested on the scene, where it was revealed that he was fully geared with several boxes of ammunition, firearms, and a handcuff. A brown briefcase was also recovered from the defendant’s car, which contained a blue book with certain names, phone numbers, and other information written across its pages. Later on, it was revealed that the blue book contained the defendant’s targets, which he believed “ruined his life” during the incident on December 13 and 14 of 1978.

The defendant had pleaded guilty to the murder of two police officers that were not involved in his prior interaction with the Chicago Police Department. He further stated in his closing argument during a sentencing hearing that he believed he deserved the death penalty. Evidence also demonstrates that the attack of Officer Bosak and Officer Van Schaik were well calculated and a part of an elaborate plan to seek revenge on police officers and other law enforcers. The defendant is currently within the custody of the Department of Mental Health as it was established that the defendant was unfit to stand trial; however, the death sentence remains imposed.

Cook County State’s Attorney Richard A. Devine commends the Assistant State’s Attorneys Michael O’Brien and James E. Fitzgerald for their exemplary work on the case. Additionally, State’s Attorney Devine also thanks the Chicago Police Department and the Department of Health for their collaborative efforts on the case.

Updated: September 30, 2020

Exit mobile version